forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "Nicola Ken Barozzi" <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: work-in-progress + vote
Date Mon, 20 May 2002 22:09:34 GMT
From: "Steven Noels" <stevenn@outerthought.org>

> Nicola wrote:
> > [WIP NOTE]
> > - I'm in the process of updating the stuff to the latest
> > forrest.cent and
> > have forrest _finally_ manage its own cent build *and* distribution
> > repository. The sitemap merge showed very little differences,
> > I should be
> > ready very soon.
>
> ooooh, even more joy in my life :-D

:-P

> any idea when you'll be able to commit?

now... oh wait... done ;-)

> > - We need an xml file that contains the list of the projects
> > that Forrest
> > builds and the infos on where the docs are and where to
> > update to. This
> > means that Forrest itself needs to update the running live websites.
> > How can this be done from a technical POV?
>
> Primary focus is putting our site up, and hopefully afterwards have some
> people thinking with us on this.

Ok.

> As far as a testing environment is concerned, you know we have
> everything in place. Andy send me over the poibot stuff he uses for the
> POI website, but I'd like to have some shell script guru on board before
> we go live.

Yup.

> There's just lots of issues ahead of us (think of projects who don't
> want Forrest building its website, or only partially - we should support
> these, too), so I'd prefer going as incremental as possible. Another
> issue is the 'frontpages', i.e. the non-project specific entry pages of
> the site (those who lack all the interesting tidbits Jakarta has) - I'd
> like to add these too.

+1

> If you are able to migrate us to Centipede 1.0 RC 3.14159,

ROTFL :'-))

> that would
> already be great and another thing not to worry about anymore.

I have upgraded the forrest.cent part, but not yet the build system, since
it would have to change again soon.

> I was
> also thinking of crash-upgrading other projects, i.e. doing the
> transition to the new DTD's and src/documentation hierarchy for them.

+1

What I usually had to do was only:
1. s1,s2,s3,s4 -> section
2. change !DTD at the top

It would be great to have transition targets.

> For the production system, we'll have to negotiate with
> root@asf-equipment.org :-) I prefer to do this after we have thoroughly
> tested this on our test infrastructure, and have a no-brainer tarball to
> install on Nagoya or the like. Given the fact they use Eyebrowse for the
> new mail archives (still a bit slow if you ask my opinion), I assume
> Java hosting on ASF equipment becomes a viable option.

Keeping fingers crossed ;-)

            - verba volant, scripta manent -