forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "Nicola Ken Barozzi" <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [HEADS UP] Forrest is running :-)
Date Wed, 29 May 2002 13:11:32 GMT
From: "Stefan Bodewig" <bodewig@apache.org>

> On 29 May 2002, David Crossley <crossley@indexgeo.com.au> wrote:
>
> > I wonder what happens when "build docs" fails?
> > Does deploysite still proceed.
>
> It will at least be run.

Yes, it could be a problem if the regened pages link to pages that were to
be done after the fail.

> > I am no Ant expert,
>
> Well, I guess you could call me one, but I make up for it by knowing
> nothing about Forrest or Centipede ;-)
>
> > Is it sufficient to make deploysite depend on 'docs'?
>
> Would be cleaner than what is currently there, even
>
> ./build.sh docs deploysite
>
> instead of two calls would probably work better (and the first thing
> *I* would do was getting rid of build.sh completely, I want *my* Ant,
> not Forrest's Ant to do the job).

Well, I know what your opinion about this is, and I see your points. It was
done this way for simplicity, so users could try it OOTB, without having to
install anything else.
Anyway, since Forrest uses Centipede, and Centipede uses a special packaged
Ant, it will use the installed Centipede, in a similar fashion.

I will switch to this way of doing things as soon as the discussion on
krysalis-dev over the new buildmap is finished.

> I have a couple of problems with some minor points that I'd like to
> address when Ant 1.5 is out (mainly because I won't find the time to
> do so).
>
> One major thing is the unless attribute of the deploy target, this
> won't do anything as the value of this attribute specifies the name of
> a *single* property - and you'll probably never have a property with
> the name "deploy.username, deploy.package-name
>                                     deploy.data.dir, deploy.hostname,
deploy.remotedir"

Oops (blushing)
Thanks for pointing this out :-)

> What you really want (Ant 1.4.1) is
>
>   <target name="deploy" if="deploy.props.have.been.set"
>           depends="check-deploy-props">
>   </target>
>
>   <target name="check-deploy-props">
>     <condition property="deploy.props.have.been.set">
>       <not>
>         <or>
>           <equals arg1="${deploy.username}" arg2="$${deploy.username}" />
>           ... and so on ...
>         </or>
>       </not>
>     </condition>
>   </target>
>
> Ant 1.5 with <isset> will make this more concise.

Yes. Will do.

> Back to your regularly scheduled program:
>
> It looks as if deploysite really depends on docs to have been run, as
> it tries to deploy the generated docs, so the most logical thing to do
> may be to make deploysite depend on docs and stick with a single Ant
> run, but I may be missing some point.

I didn't do it because I'm keeping them as separate as possible now, since
there has yet to be a "master" target that calls these and others in order,
and that needs to be generated on the basis of the Forrest descriptor. In
fact, we need to run these targets with different values, because of all the
different sites we have to generate.

            - verba volant, scripta manent -