forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "Nicola Ken Barozzi" <>
Subject [] Dynamic system with WWH (what we have)
Date Thu, 16 May 2002 12:00:31 GMT
[WARNING: Nicola Ken thinking out loud]

It seems that when we talk about a dynamic system, we talk about online
databases and servlets.

Is this *really* necessary?

Apache gives us these passive resources:

- Bugzilla-Scarab

Ant these active resource:

- viewcvs
- Gump

The browser gives us these active resources:

- applets
- javascript
- forms

As you see, we have already more that a static website, and the last posts
to Forrest and Cocoon have brought to these conclusions.

Now, Forrest is a Community Tool, what others call a project/content
management system.

We need to
- do the sites of the projects
- do nagging-alerts
- make stats.
- recieve content updates

The first three can be done ala Gump, what remains is the CMS we need, and
what we have is CVS.

To view content with CVS in real-time we could use viewcvs.

Another option is to use an applet-Java app to get stuff from CVS and edit

I think that this is the best solution, because it takes load from the
server and can be made to run *now*.

What do you think?

Nicola Ken Barozzi
            - verba volant, scripta manent -