forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "Nicola Ken Barozzi" <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Intro / etc.
Date Wed, 29 May 2002 12:52:05 GMT
Hi Brian,
  what you say makes perfect sense to me.

The idea I had about it, and I think others had too, was something between
these lines, and I thank you for having made it so clear :-)
I wasn't aware that Xopus could be used *seamlessly* with Scarab, and this
is very good news indeed.
In fact we have resorted to using Bugzilla right now, and what you explain
is the next correct step.

What I envision is a system that can different methods of access and of
complexity.

The first level is certainly what you propose, and it would be really great
if you could do it. It's for normal users and comments, and pointly
contributions.

The second level is a JNPL launchable Java App that can edit the document,
create others, and use a store underneath (like CVS now) directly, and help
for basic back-end document management.
It's the documenter's tool, and has the positive point of not having to be
hosted by a server, which is a good thing for us, given the resources we
have now and for the near future.

The third level is that of a technitian, currently CVS, with direct access
to the repository, and a more complex management console.

As for the implementation of the second level, I have an app that could be
used for it, and will release it opensource on krysalis as soon as possible.

For now I think that implementing browser editing, maybe with fallback to a
form system, that dialogues with Scarab would be a very important step.

            - verba volant, scripta manent -