forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "Steven Noels" <stev...@outerthought.org>
Subject faq.dtd [was: RE: Ok, I give up]
Date Mon, 22 Apr 2002 12:17:53 GMT
Sylvain,

> >>So my non-voting +1 for adding sections and IDs to the FAQ.
> >>

> >I tweaked the faq.dtd already yesterday: it can now be composed of a
> >number of 'parts', and Q/A already bear an id attribute.
> >
> >Is that what you were looking for?
> >

> Exactly. But couldn't you use the 'section' element that's already
> defined in the document DTD ?

Uh? How? Remember we currently are using DTDs, so element content models
cannot easily be adapted according to their context. So I used a 'part'
element on purpose, because the content model of 'section' contains a
lot of elements I don't want to have in our FAQ documents.

We could of course redefine the section element for faq documents in the
local declaration subset, but this would be overly hard to use for
XML-intimacies-challenged documentation editors:

somefaq.xml:

---------------------
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE faqs PUBLIC "-//APACHE//DTD FAQ V1.1//EN" "faq-v11.dtd" [

  <!-- locally declared elements override previous element
declaration -->

  <!ELEMENT section ((faq | part)+) >
  <!ATTLIST section %title.att; %common.att;>

]>
<faqs/>

I'm quite sure nobody wants to start editing an faq if he first has to
make sure he follows the exact syntax as the example above... or not?

Regards,

</Steven>