forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Diana Shannon <terrac...@mac.com>
Subject Re: FAQ [was: Re: documentation architecture?]
Date Thu, 25 Apr 2002 19:26:25 GMT

On Thursday, April 25, 2002, Robert Koberg wrote:

>> As you see, the *same* piece of information is conveyed in different
>> ways.
>> The *same*, no need to rewrite anything.
>>
>> On this list I haven't yet seen Diana say this, correct me if I'm
>> wrong.
>>

> Maybe I am wrong, but I thought the whole premise of XML was resuable
> content abstracted from the presentation. I assumed this was a given,
> where it is appropriate. But, you should not try to fit square pegs
> into round holes.

Ken, while you may be able to do this from a technological standpoint,
just how much value does it add to the user/reader experience? Think how
oppressive the style guide would have to be. Your "content blocks" would
have to be unbearably monotone so that they could fit into any document
context. This might work well for snippets of reference guides (with
notoriously volatile timestamps) as discussed recently on cocoon-dev.
However, I'd worry, in other cases, that you'd dampen the rich range of
styles and tones authors employ when writing by forcing them to
incorporate "official" content within their own works.

Sometimes it's helpful to hear someone else say the same thing -- a bit
differently.

Diana