forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Diana Shannon <terrac...@mac.com>
Subject entry points [was:Re: Ok, I give up]
Date Thu, 18 Apr 2002 20:24:41 GMT
Robert:

> How about defining different entry points to cocoon. Example tracks:
> 1. total newbie - very basic stuff to get them started
> 2. experienced web developer but inexperienced at java or XSLT
> 3. experienced web developer with java but inexperienced with XSLT
> 4. inexperienced (serious) web developer that knows XSLT well
> 5. ???

Very good idea. We could develop audience profiles for these groups that
include assumptions about concepts most likely to need reinforcement,
based on pre-Cocoon preconceptions. This stuff pops up all the time on
the user list, like folks wanting to override a serialization
configuration from a stylesheet's xml:output method.

> Everybody seems to be coming from cocoon at different angles. Define
> what is common to all and then split out to the entry points.

Couldn't agree with you more. However, Cocoon as "glue technology" has
an extremely varied potential user base. Also, think about how many
flavors of experienced web developer types there are. I'm not saying it
shouldn't/couldn't be done, but the audience comes with a lot of
potential "baggage."

> For something like #4, speaking from experience, I would like to see
> how you take an app that uses the XSLT/XPath document function to
> aggregate content and turn that into a cocoon app that aggregates
> content before the final transformation.  I could provide the XSLT/XML
> that aggregates content in the final transform using document(), but I
> would not trust myself to give the best cocoon conversion :(

So how does that translate, ideally, into documents that fill up a
learning path? Is this a tutorial directed specifically at audience #4?
Or a combination of documents? If so, what types of documents?

Diana