forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Koberg <...@koberg.com>
Subject Re: Ok, I give up
Date Thu, 18 Apr 2002 16:55:05 GMT
Hi,

Steven Noels wrote:

>Diana,
>
>I'd start with outlining what is out there and try to define an overall
>document hierarchy - the docs aren't necessary badly structured, it's
>the access to the docs - I'm not too keen of the user/developer
>distinction.
>
>I can think of some and submit afterwards, but I'd really like you to
>give it a go...
>
>OK?

How about defining different entry points to cocoon. Example tracks:
1. total newbie - very basic stuff to get them started
2. experienced web developer but inexperienced at java or XSLT
3. experienced web developer with java but inexperienced with XSLT
4. inexperienced (serious) web developer that knows XSLT well
5. ???

Everybody seems to be coming from cocoon at different angles. Define
what is common to all and then split out to the entry points.

For something like #4, speaking from experience, I would like to see how
you take an app that uses the XSLT/XPath document function to aggregate
content and turn that into a cocoon app that aggregates content before
the final transformation.  I could provide the XSLT/XML that aggregates
content in the final transform using document(), but I would not trust
myself to give the best cocoon conversion :(

On the XSLT list the default answer to the question - 'how do I use two
or more XML files as the source of my transformation?' - is always -
'use t]ocument function, stupid.' It is rarely brought up that you
can or should aggregate content before the final transformation. So I
would bet that most people coming to cocoon from XSLT (which would seem
like a natural progression) are thouroughly confused by the approach taken.

best,
-Rob

[1] I could provide a set of XSLT and XML that can be used to create a
web site (dynamically or statically) by aggregating content at final
transform time. It contains:

article.xsl { // inlcudes
   global_defintions.xsl { // which includes the following XSLTs
      banner.xsl
      find_xml.xsl
      footer.xsl
      head.xsl
      html_tags.xsl
      nav.xsl
   }
}

article.xsl is a cached Templates object. It is transformed against the
particular site's site.xml file. Other config XML files are:
content.xml
// the following three deal with user management stuff
groups.xml
roles.xml
users.xml

you can use a simple sax content handler that quickly crawls through the
site.xml to generate the site to HTML, JSP, etc - or - you could use a
simple transform servlet if you want it dynamic.