forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "Nicola Ken Barozzi" <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Run, Forrest, run!
Date Sat, 06 Apr 2002 14:18:58 GMT
From: "Konstantin Piroumian" <KPiroumian@protek.com>

> > From: Steven Noels [mailto:stevenn@outerthought.org]
> > Apart from my proposition of having some less book-oriented
> > sitemap-describing thing dispersed throughout the directory structure,
> > please re-read my ideas in
> > http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=forrest-dev&m=101605443113305&w=2 and
> > http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?t=101637949200001&r=1&w=2
> > concerning this
> > ordering issue.

I just reread the thread, and I thought we agreed that defining the book by
hand was ok.
What we just need now is a way of aggregating all the books resursively in a
single site index.

> Yes, I remember that discussion. But recent Nicola's updates shows that we
> are back to the start point again, I mean same old book.xml format. If you
> remember, I've created a document oriented index file (in
> book/chapter/section format) to be used with project documentation, but
that
> idea also died.

Book.xml is what we have now and what other projects are using.

We have to support them for the transition, and making something equivalent
to book.xml just with different names is going just to make it harder for us
and the users with no gain.

Let's enhance what we have instead like we did with the document (and see my
previous mail for the faq.)

> What about a dynamic book.xml? Say, a book.xml that contains also some
> transformer tags for document sorting/filtering etc.? Book.xml format is
> rather limiting without an intermediate transformation to add also book
> sections/chapters to the navigation menu.
> Example:
>
> <book-list>
> <book src="doc1.xml">
> <title><xdir:insert select="doc1.xml#/@title"</title>
> <!-- Some tag to insert chapters and sections here -->
> </book>
> <book src="http://www... .doc2.xml">
> <title>Some external book</title>
> </book>
> </book-list>

FS

This can be done automatically.

Content has to be defined in one place only, and the titles and sections are
defined in the documents.
I'm against putting this in the book, where it doesn't belong IMO as a
concern.

            - verba volant, scripta manent -