forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Christopher Lenz <cml...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: Document DTD vs. Docbook DTD
Date Sat, 02 Mar 2002 13:03:53 GMT
[snip lots]
01.03.2002 20:57:46, Stefano Mazzocchi <stefano@apache.org> wrote:
>Christopher Lenz wrote:
>> But they can be used as examples on how to handle some more complex
>> topics, like auto-index, auto-toc.

>should be simpler to write an auto-index with Docbook?

You're talking about Table-Of-Contents (TOC) generation here I think,
not about index generation. To generate an index (usually found at the
end of any at least half-decent book), you'll have to require the
author to markup terms that should appear in the index, and the index
will be generated from this information. I hope you agree that an
index is a *very* important part of any large document (ie when you
aggregate all the 'documents' into a 'book'), also because you don't
have a search command for printed documentation.

[snip]
>I'd rather augment Document than artificially reduce Docbook.
>
>That's my point.

Okay, okay, so most of you dudes don't like DocBook. I respect that,
especially because I'm just a user of the technologies provided, and
don't want to pretend I could design the optimal, all-the-power-
needed-but-none-of-the-overhead system myself. So if there was an
Apache-recommended alternative to DocBook for large (aggregated, if
you want), printable documentation I'd use it. Simple as that.

So, we'd definitely need an aggregation-doctype, or whatever you
prefer to call it. The book-cocoon-v10.dtd seems to go into that
direction, but is obviously strongly focussed on website-generation
(menu-items, eh?), and doesn't provide enough information for FO-
transformation: global copyright/legalities, global title/subtitle,
possibly foreword/preface.

If I find some time, I'll experiment with using/extending the
document1.1 DTD and a new aggregation-doctype to generate FO, and
report back what I find.

-chris
cmlenz at gmx.de