forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "Steven Noels" <stev...@outerthought.org>
Subject RE: Document DTD vs. Docbook DTD
Date Fri, 01 Mar 2002 13:36:46 GMT
Christopher Lenz wrote:

> Steven Noels wrote:
>
> >> I'm not convinced we should transform 'across Docbook'
> other than for
> >> showing off Cocoon's pipeline power. We could however
> support Docbook
> >> for specific content types such as (user/reference)
> manuals and more
> >> lenghty documents.
>
> That's what I'd like to see. But it seems we're not getting there :(

Well, that depends...

If we can agree on the usage of Docbook for complex documents (user and
reference manuals seem like the relevant cases for this), and somebody
jumps in this bandwagon to address our concerns against Docbook in terms
of:

- creating compact stylesheets to transform into Forrest HTML & PDF
look&feel, not carrying the weight of Norman's stylesheets
- describing what Docbook tags one should use (and those we don't
support),

I see no problem in supporting Docbook for these specific document
types.

It seems like we all agree Docbook being overweight as an authoring
format for simple documents(web-pages being a good example), nor as a
cross-transformation intermediate step.

So what do you think?

Are you ready to take up the task? ;-)

</Steven>