forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Kal Ahmed <...@techquila.com>
Subject Re: Topic Maps for Forrest ? (was RE: Proposal: alternative for book.xml)
Date Thu, 21 Mar 2002 09:49:05 GMT
Hi Jeff,

There aren't currently as many extant examples of using Topic Maps for
websites as there are for using more traditional document-oriented forms of
XML and XSLT. However, I think that this is mostly due to the relative
newness of the technology (and the difficulty that those responsible for
the spec have in explaining it in developer's terms). That said, those that
there are show some of the potential of this form of information structuring.

[1] is a web-site run on Zope using a topic map structure to store the
whole backend. Virtually every page is dynamically constructed from the
topic map data. Because it is run on Zope, users can actually add new data
to the topic map via the web interface (not accessible to the general
public unfortunately). The developers of this site created [2] using the
same code base in about 1.5 days! Just to explain for non-Norwegian
speakers, the main ITU website describes projects and institutions involved
in promoting the use of IT in education. So the topics are things like
projects, people, organisations and papers/reports. [1] takes you to the
topic for a project called PLUTO - notice that it is linked to topics
representing the people working on the project, related projects and so on.

[3] is the TM4J project's ongoing attempt at creating a topic-map driven
website. As you will see from the URL, this is very much "under
construction". This site is generated using Velocity to process a set of
topic maps to generate a whole heap of static HTML pages (because the
server we are running on does not have a servlet container). The HTML/CSS
needs some tweaking (currently works best in IE) and (as always) the
content needs a lot more work (!) but at least it shows that it is doable
with open-source software.

For Forrest, I think that I would start with a topic map for
xml.apache.org; a topic map for each project; and then supplement the
project topic maps with additional information extracted from the
documentation (e.g. by processing index entry tags in the docbook sources
or using a doclet to generate topicmapped Javadoc - this is something I am
experimenting with for TM4J). But as I say, I'm a relative newcomer...
Anyway, hopefully these two sites give you an idea of what kind of things
are possible. I would be very interested to hear your comments!

Cheers,

Kal

[1] http://www.itu.no/Prosjekter/1000203716_09/view
[2] http://luna.itu.no