forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Kal Ahmed <...@techquila.com>
Subject Topic Maps for Forrest ? (was RE: Proposal: alternative for book.xml)
Date Mon, 18 Mar 2002 17:33:36 GMT
Hi,

I am a relative newcomer to this forum - I've only lurked for a couple of
days. So this is just a tentative suggestion, but it seems to me that you
are dealing with some pretty complex issues which might be (partially if
not completely) addressed by the ISO Topic Maps standard [1] and its XML
incarnation XTM [2]. As well as being quite capable of representing content
organisation structures such as books/chapters/sections, topic maps can be
used to represent the relationship between concepts and can be used to
relate those concepts to the data occurrences which provide more
information about them. A good introduction to topic maps is Steve Pepper's
TAO of Topic Maps [3]. One important thing about topic maps is that they
are mergeable - so individual projects can define their own topic maps and
you can take those individual topic maps, merge them together and create a
topic map for the whole xml.apache.org site.

In practical terms, I am the lead developer of a project producing a topic
map processing engine, TM4J [4] which provides a Java API to parse, merge
and access topic map information. I am also separately developing an
integration with Velocity and there has been interest on the TM4J dev
mailing list in doing something similar with Cocoon. TM4J is open-source,
under the Apache license and makes use of a lot of Apache code, so if there
is an opportunity to give something back, I would be happy to do so!

Cheers,

Kal

[1] http://www.ornl.gov/sgml/sc34/document/0058.htm
[2] http://www.topicmaps.org/xtm/1.0/