forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: home.html
Date Wed, 13 Mar 2002 12:55:45 GMT
"Piroumian, Konstantin" wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Is there any special/political/technological reason for using so much 'div's
> for HTML layout?

Lightness. But I'm fully aware the above doesn't work on 4th generation
browsers and below.

The HTML layout is *not* the final result, but only there to show people
where we're going.

> I am absolutely sure that it's possible to get the same
> layout using simple 'table's and 'span's.

Oh, of course.

> That will make pages editable with a visual tool (e.g. DreamWeaver).

So? nobody is ever going to edit those pages with a external visual tool
anyway since they will be generated out of XML.

> And maybe that is the cause that makes
> pages unaccessible for 4.x browsers?

yes, we have already agreed on that.

> FYI: trying to open home.html with Netscape 4.7 crashed it with Dr. Watson.

Guys, we have to decide if we go static or dynamic first!

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.