forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Gianugo Rabellino <gian...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Document DTD vs. Docbook DTD
Date Tue, 05 Mar 2002 22:52:18 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

>>So, we'd definitely need an aggregation-doctype, or whatever you
>>prefer to call it. The book-cocoon-v10.dtd seems to go into that
>>direction, but is obviously strongly focussed on website-generation
>>(menu-items, eh?), and doesn't provide enough information for FO-
>>transformation: global copyright/legalities, global title/subtitle,
>>possibly foreword/preface.
>>
>>If I find some time, I'll experiment with using/extending the
>>document1.1 DTD and a new aggregation-doctype to generate FO, and
>>report back what I find.
>>

> Thanks. We need all the ideas/comments/suggestions we can find.

OK, so here are my 0.2euros. I needed such a beast and came up with the
idea of generating TOCs automatically via XPath. Cocoon has the ability
to "XPath-query" directories both file system and XML:DB based (AKA
Collections). The idea was simple as running an XPath Query against a
bunch of document, extracting the proper informations and formatting
them. Easy and dynamic: I don't like the idea of having to edit both a
document and an "aggregation" document. True, it might be good to come
up with some sort of DTD for aggregated documents, provided that  the
generation of such documents is dynamic. Makes sense?

Ciao,

--
Gianugo Rabellino