forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Document DTD vs. Docbook DTD
Date Mon, 04 Mar 2002 17:19:13 GMT
Christopher Lenz wrote:

> [snip lots]
> 01.03.2002 20:57:46, Stefano Mazzocchi <stefano@apache.org> wrote:
> >Christopher Lenz wrote:
> >> But they can be used as examples on how to handle some more complex
> >> topics, like auto-index, auto-toc.

> >should be simpler to write an auto-index with Docbook?
>
> You're talking about Table-Of-Contents (TOC) generation here I think,
> not about index generation. To generate an index (usually found at the
> end of any at least half-decent book), you'll have to require the
> author to markup terms that should appear in the index, and the index
> will be generated from this information. I hope you agree that an
> index is a *very* important part of any large document (ie when you
> aggregate all the 'documents' into a 'book'), also because you don't
> have a search command for printed documentation.

Yes, you're right: document lacks indexing markup functionalities.

> [snip]
> >I'd rather augment Document than artificially reduce Docbook.
> >
> >That's my point.
>
> Okay, okay, so most of you dudes don't like DocBook. I respect that,
> especially because I'm just a user of the technologies provided, and
> don't want to pretend I could design the optimal, all-the-power-
> needed-but-none-of-the-overhead system myself. So if there was an
> Apache-recommended alternative to DocBook for large (aggregated, if
> you want), printable documentation I'd use it. Simple as that.

There will probably be no apache recommendation of sort.. we'll provide
you with a system that does all that you require, then, if you like it,
you use it, if not, you won't.

Simple as that :)

> So, we'd definitely need an aggregation-doctype, or whatever you
> prefer to call it. The book-cocoon-v10.dtd seems to go into that
> direction, but is obviously strongly focussed on website-generation
> (menu-items, eh?), and doesn't provide enough information for FO-
> transformation: global copyright/legalities, global title/subtitle,
> possibly foreword/preface.
>
> If I find some time, I'll experiment with using/extending the
> document1.1 DTD and a new aggregation-doctype to generate FO, and
> report back what I find.

Thanks. We need all the ideas/comments/suggestions we can find.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.