forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "Piroumian, Konstantin" <KPiroum...@flagship.ru>
Subject RE: Proposal: alternative for book.xml
Date Mon, 18 Mar 2002 15:37:50 GMT

Why not 'site-index' or simply 'index'? As I can see from the structure it's
closer to an index than to a map.

> What I have so far is a XML Schema proposal - I want to throw
> it in the group for feedback. The idea is that each project
> provides a sitemap.xml, which can be manually authored as-is
> for the entire site structure, or the result of doing some
> sort of directory traversal. We could have some sort of
> SitemapDirectoryGenerator which generates such a document,
> checking whether there are sitemap.xml in a directory that
> override the default sequence.

So, site creation will be two--step build, isn't it:
 - SitemapDirectoryGenerator creates sitemap.xml (site-index.xml)
 - site author modifies it manually
 - Cocoon creates pages according to sitemap.xml

Not so bad and rather maintanable. It will be possible to adminster and
update the site remotely simply by editing/uploading new sitemap.xml file.

> I haven't put any comments in the Schema, yet, so here goes:
>
> - sitemap: pretty obvious
> - node: a node contains other nodes or leafs (for filesystem
> based structures, this would be a directory, but I choose a
> more generic name with e.g. Xindice-backed document
> collections in mind)
> - leaf: a document resource
> - import: specifies which sitemap.xml should be imported in
> this location (we could also do this using XInclude)
> - external: provision for externally linked resources

Why not use document structure names, e.g.: area, chapter, section, page?
Will this structure be used for purposes  other than documentation
generation?

One more alternative is to extend book.dtd to allow nested menus. Nodes and
leaves are too abstract, IMHO, and are a little not obvious.

> Creating a stylesheet that transforms this document structure
> to a tree navigation or a 'yahoo-path' is fairly trivial.

Yup

> One thing I'm not to happy with is the use of output-media
> dependent URI attributes on node and leaf:
>
>   <leaf label="Home" uri="index.html"/>

What about an extensionless format:
   <leaf label="Home" uri="index"/>

The output format will be defined with a build option or some other way.

> This obviously will cause problems when generating
> other-than-HTML output.
>
> The idea basically is that we should be able to create such a
> sitemap document for each kind of resource.

What kind of resources are expected other than static documentation?

> Anyway, here goes as a first proposal: fire at will!

Not much to fire yet ;)

--
Konstantin Piroumian
kpiroumian@flagship.ru