forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "Piroumian, Konstantin" <>
Subject RE: Proposal: alternative for book.xml
Date Mon, 18 Mar 2002 15:37:50 GMT

Why not 'site-index' or simply 'index'? As I can see from the structure it's
closer to an index than to a map.

> What I have so far is a XML Schema proposal - I want to throw
> it in the group for feedback. The idea is that each project
> provides a sitemap.xml, which can be manually authored as-is
> for the entire site structure, or the result of doing some
> sort of directory traversal. We could have some sort of
> SitemapDirectoryGenerator which generates such a document,
> checking whether there are sitemap.xml in a directory that
> override the default sequence.

So, site creation will be two--step build, isn't it:
 - SitemapDirectoryGenerator creates sitemap.xml (site-index.xml)
 - site author modifies it manually
 - Cocoon creates pages according to sitemap.xml

Not so bad and rather maintanable. It will be possible to adminster and
update the site remotely simply by editing/uploading new sitemap.xml file.

> I haven't put any comments in the Schema, yet, so here goes:
> - sitemap: pretty obvious
> - node: a node contains other nodes or leafs (for filesystem
> based structures, this would be a directory, but I choose a
> more generic name with e.g. Xindice-backed document
> collections in mind)
> - leaf: a document resource
> - import: specifies which sitemap.xml should be imported in
> this location (we could also do this using XInclude)
> - external: provision for externally linked resources

Why not use document structure names, e.g.: area, chapter, section, page?
Will this structure be used for purposes  other than documentation

One more alternative is to extend book.dtd to allow nested menus. Nodes and
leaves are too abstract, IMHO, and are a little not obvious.

> Creating a stylesheet that transforms this document structure
> to a tree navigation or a 'yahoo-path' is fairly trivial.

> One thing I'm not to happy with is the use of output-media
> dependent URI attributes on node and leaf:
>   <leaf label="Home" uri="index.html"/>

What about an extensionless format:
   <leaf label="Home" uri="index"/>

The output format will be defined with a build option or some other way.

> This obviously will cause problems when generating
> other-than-HTML output.
> The idea basically is that we should be able to create such a
> sitemap document for each kind of resource.

What kind of resources are expected other than static documentation?

> Anyway, here goes as a first proposal: fire at will!

Not much to fire yet ;)

Konstantin Piroumian

> </Steven>

View raw message