forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "Piroumian, Konstantin" <KPiroum...@flagship.ru>
Subject RE: [LAYOUT] page.html created
Date Fri, 15 Mar 2002 17:14:39 GMT

Here goes the final one with working index menu (all sections can be
opened/closed), icons are also in place. (File locations you know).

A dream (© SM) came to me while working on this menu:
this menu reminded me a discussion about dynamic XML loading with JavaScript
and Cocoon. There was a question: is it possible to make a menu like the one
on MSDN site? There a topic child list is loaded when the user clicks on the
topic link. Such possibility would be very useful for optimizing the load
time of any complicated documentation index.

It can be implemented like this:
 - page is loaded only with top-level topics
 - when user clicks on a chapter link a request (from a hidden frame/iframe)
is sent to Cocoon
 - Cocoon generates JavaScript string that contains HTML with the topic list
items
 - control frame (hidden frame/iframe) calls a JS function that writes
received HTML inside of the clicked element

Of course, this can be implemented only in IE 4+ (don't know about Netscape
6), cause it requires a possibility to change element's HTML code by
JavaScript.

It would be much better to receive XML with the topic list, but it requires
XSLT transformation on the client side (btw, it's also supported by IE and a
built-in ActiveX component).

--
Konstantin Piroumian
kpiroumian@flagship.ru