forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "Piroumian, Konstantin" <KPiroum...@flagship.ru>
Subject Re: home.html
Date Wed, 13 Mar 2002 12:05:43 GMT
> From: "Piroumian, Konstantin" <KPiroumian@flagship.ru>
>
> > Hi!
> >
> > Is there any special/political/technological reason for using so much
> 'div's
> > for HTML layout? I am absolutely sure that it's possible to get the same
> > layout using simple 'table's and 'span's. That will make pages editable
> with
> > a visual tool (e.g. DreamWeaver). And maybe that is the cause that makes
> > pages unaccessible for 4.x browsers?
> >
> > FYI: trying to open home.html with Netscape 4.7 crashed it with Dr.
> Watson.
>
> Nested tables are deemed as bad by many, although I cannot speak for
others
> since I personally don't care how it's done.
> HTML should be content and CSS style? Let's get real. CSS support is at
most
> wavy in many browsers (IE5 and 6 have also different inheritance
mechanism),
> and Netscape 4 crashes on some CSS (this is a known issue, BTW).
>
> For me content is XML. Style is XSL+CSS. HTML is just a presentation
format.

Yes, sure, I didn't say a word against that. But we should generate usable
HTML for any more or less modern browser. I'd suggest having two different
versions: advanced (for 5+ browsers) and simple (for all others), but this
is the future...

> Konstantin, see what you can do on that layout using the least possible
> nested tables.
> What must IMO be avoided though is the dreaded <style> tag.
You mean 'style' attribute?

> Instead, use CSS styles, using the class attribute.

Ok. There is no a single 'style' in home.html.

KP