forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "Nicola Ken Barozzi" <baro...@nicolaken.com>
Subject Re: Document DTD vs. Docbook DTD
Date Fri, 01 Mar 2002 15:04:57 GMT
From: "Steven Noels" <stevenn@outerthought.org>

> If we can agree on the usage of Docbook for complex documents (user and
> reference manuals seem like the relevant cases for this), and somebody
> jumps in this bandwagon to address our concerns against Docbook in terms
> of:
>
> - creating compact stylesheets to transform into Forrest HTML & PDF
> look&feel, not carrying the weight of Norman's stylesheets
> - describing what Docbook tags one should use (and those we don't
> support),

> It seems like we all agree Docbook being overweight as an authoring
> format for simple documents(web-pages being a good example), nor as a
> cross-transformation intermediate step.

Before deciding to support any type of Docbook, I would suggest we have a
real-life document that we will need to generate, see why Document DTD is
not enough, and maybe decide that a more complete Document DTD could
suffice.

Why would Docbook be better that a more complete Document DTD?

--
Nicola Ken Barozzi                 barozzi@nicolaken.com
            - verba volant, scripta manent -