forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "Nicola Ken Barozzi" <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Topic Maps for Forrest ? (was RE: Proposal: alternative for book.xml)
Date Mon, 25 Mar 2002 13:57:43 GMT
From: "Kal Ahmed" <kal@techquila.com>

> At 14:42 23/03/2002 +0100, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> >Jeff Turner wrote:
> >
> > > I think it's implicit here that to achieve Forrest's goals, there'll
> > > need a lot more semantic content than your average site. IMVHO that
fact
> > > should be made explicit, to the point of making "semantic markup" the
> > > primary focus of Forrest, with the website being simply a frontend.
> >
> >I agree with the direction, but I also agree with the need to keep feet
> >on the ground.
> >
> >Topic Maps are about metadata, that is data about data.
> >
> >My impression is: we have enough hard time getting the 'data', the
> >metadata will come afterwords.
>
> I can appreciate that point - I see from the list activity how hard people
> are working on the content and presentation - both important aspects of
the
> site. However, I would like to just comment that I believe Topic Maps are
> little more than meta data in the sense of being data about data. Because
> Topic Maps also define an intutive organisational structure (topics and
> associations), they can be used not just for asserting meta data about
> resources, but also for organising the resources in such a way that they
> can be more accessible to a new visitor to the site.

Data about data is still, well... , data.
So yes, metadata *is* data, but usually can be done afterwards.

> Also, it is possible to create topics or topic map views of other
> (non-document) data and integrate it with the topic map of the document
> data. Quite a powerful tool for integrating other forms of content into
the
> site.

cool

> >So, no TopicMaps or RDF for now, we'll think about that later, if they
> >make sense, that would be my choice.
>
> I respect that position. I am a relative newcomer to the xml.apache.org
> project (though I have been using Apache XML libraries for a long time
> now), and I would love to be able to help out with any Topic Map / RDF
> related work you may consider in the future. So consider this as something
> of a pre-volunteering ;-)

Good, pre-volunteering accepted :-)

Since I personally don't have *any* /concrete/ clue on how to implement this
in Forrest, I would be very happy to read a RT (random thought, as we call
explanations-proposals) from you on this topic.
I'm very interested especially in real-life use cases and possible
implementations.

            - verba volant, scripta manent -