forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "Nicola Ken Barozzi" <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [UPDATE] Last call to get new documentation stylesheets
Date Thu, 21 Mar 2002 16:20:20 GMT
From: "Piroumian, Konstantin" <KPiroumian@flagship.ru>

> From: Nicola Ken Barozzi [mailto:nicolaken@apache.org]
> > does anyone have an idea on what is the best way to tell
> > Cocoon which skin to use?
> > I use a skin/{1}/blablabla type of URI to get the correct
> > file, but how do I
> > get the {1} parameter there in the first place?
>
> Should it be in the URL?

Now that I think of it, it is already in the url now...

jakarta.apache.org
xml.apache.org

But what contract do we want Forrest to have?

> Maybe it's better to have skins configured in
> sitemaps? Ok, it's not good, in that case every project should provide its
> own sub-sitemap with configured skins... Just an idea.
> >
> > It has to work both with CLI and webapp based (for the future).
>
> Please tell me if you get working CLI for my stuff.

Of course :-)

Tell me one thing.

Now I have my local copy of Forrest produce both jakarta-style and xml-style
docs using the usual nested book.xml site structure, and I want to add your
stuff.

What is the future documentation structure going to be?

In your example all the structure def is in one file:

<book label="Area 1" uri="book1"/>
    <book label="Area 2" uri="book2"/>
    <book label="Area 3" current="current" uri="book3">
        <page uri="page1" label="Page 1"/>
        <page uri="page2" label="Page 2"/>
        <chapter uri="chapter1" label="Chapter 1"/>
        <chapter uri="chapter2" label="Chapter 2"/>
        <chapter uri="chapter3" label="Chapter 3" current="current">
            <page uri="page31" label="Page 3.1"/>
            <page uri="page32" label="Page 3.2"/>
            <section uri="section33" label="Section 3.3" current="current">
                <page uri="page331" label="Page 3.3.1"/>
                <page uri="page332" label="Page 3.3.2"/>
                <section uri="section333" label="Section 3.3.3"
current="current">
                    <page uri="page3331" label="Page 3.3.3.1"/>
                    <page uri="page3332" label="Page 3.3.3.2"/>
                    <page uri="page3333" label="Page 3.3.3.3"
current="current"/>
                    <page uri="page3334" label="Page 3.3.3.4"/>
                </section>
         ...etc

Is this what we are going to have as a site structure?
One unified file?

AFAIK, we have nested book.xml files, an alternative by Steven (still nested
files) and some topicmaps FUD.

- The book.xml stuff is old but tried and tested, and we would have little
difficulty with integration with current projects, and give users a very low
barrier to entry. We need users.

- The alternative from Steven doesn't seem to add particular semantics; we
could as well enhance current book.xml, nes pa?

- Topicmaps are very cool, but if noone sends some concrete patch, we might
as well leave them for Forrest 2 or integrate them later, as a modern
book-list.

So, to get stuff going quick, my BIG +1 goes to use the current
documentation method, while enhancing it where needed.

This way the old docs would work without modification and new ones have
additional features.

Does this make sense?

            - verba volant, scripta manent -