forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "Nicola Ken Barozzi" <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: home.html
Date Wed, 13 Mar 2002 11:34:57 GMT
From: "Piroumian, Konstantin" <KPiroumian@flagship.ru>

> Hi!
>
> Is there any special/political/technological reason for using so much
'div's
> for HTML layout? I am absolutely sure that it's possible to get the same
> layout using simple 'table's and 'span's. That will make pages editable
with
> a visual tool (e.g. DreamWeaver). And maybe that is the cause that makes
> pages unaccessible for 4.x browsers?
>
> FYI: trying to open home.html with Netscape 4.7 crashed it with Dr.
Watson.

Nested tables are deemed as bad by many, although I cannot speak for others
since I personally don't care how it's done.
HTML should be content and CSS style? Let's get real. CSS support is at most
wavy in many browsers (IE5 and 6 have also different inheritance mechanism),
and Netscape 4 crashes on some CSS (this is a known issue, BTW).

For me content is XML. Style is XSL+CSS. HTML is just a presentation format.

Konstantin, see what you can do on that layout using the least possible
nested tables.
What must IMO be avoided though is the dreaded <style> tag.
Instead, use CSS styles, using the class attribute.

            - verba volant, scripta manent -