forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "Steven Noels" <stev...@outerthought.org>
Subject RE: Krysalis Centipede 0.2 ready
Date Mon, 25 Feb 2002 09:49:58 GMT
Nicola,

I just downloaded it and am kind of getting acquainted with it (lots of
changes indeed).

> Ok, so I did a release of latest changes to Centipede.
>
> It gives you Ant and Cocoon, along with basic targets,
> structured build
> file, interactive build and a project-info.xml file that
> contains all basic
> project information.
>
> - Major refactoring of tools structure to make upgrades to
> Centipede, Ant
> and Cocoon tools easier.
> - Added a project-info.xml file to group all basic info of
> the project in
> one file; an Ant task puts this information in Ant as properties
> automatically.
> - Added izpress Ant task to compress html.
> - Upgraded Cocoon to latest CVS version; now it uses the new
> TreeProcessor
> and JispStore by default.

cool!

> Fast HOWTO:
> - modify project-info.xml
> - put the right stuff in the right dirs:
>   - java source in src/java
>   - documentation in src/documentation
>   - libs in /lib (core or optional)
>   - other libs are easy to understand (I hope ;-)
> - run build.bat or build.sh

There's reference to two external build-files in build.xml:

<!-- =================  Main project targets and info
================  -->
<!ENTITY project-target     SYSTEM "./src/targets/project.xtarget">
<!ENTITY interactive-target SYSTEM "./src/targets/interactive.xtarget">
<!--
=================================================================== -->

I would suggest to set up some placeholder targets in these dirs.
Furthermore, the DTD's are still 'version' 1.0 instead of the 1.1 in
forrest-cvs.

> Just one note: the /tools dir is not intended to be modified
> directly, so
> that easy upgrade can be done there by simple dir substitution.
> Which in fact means that all modifications done there will go
> in the next
> versions of Centipede ;-)

Got that ;-)

I must say I didn't believe at first that the documentation was
generated using Cocoon - it was simply too fast :-)

OK, I'll have to look into it, thanks for a great starter.

</Steven>