forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "Steven Noels" <stev...@outerthought.org>
Subject RE: CVS infrastructure
Date Fri, 22 Feb 2002 12:03:27 GMT
John Morrison wrote:

> Current Status?  Is there anything about ready for checking in?

We're waiting for Nicola to come up with a 'go' on importing Centipede, I've
checked
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/krysalis/krysalis-centipede/ but
it seems he is still working on it.

I'd prefer to hold back until Nicola is happy with his interim-release of
Centipede, so that we can start from a more or less stable version.

In terms of a todo list, we should be starting with an overview of what we are
going to release and how we will arrive there.

About the what:

  - the Stefano [RT] thread

  - an overview of the site in terms of

    - deciding on URL-namespace design
    - static/dynamic content
    - overview of the different visual pages, to see what HTML mockups we are
still missing
    - listing the views and the information they are composed of, in order to
    start thinking about pipelines and to see where we can find everything
    (project metrics)
    - a general todo list so that nothing is overlooked

  - personal pet peeve: will Forrest be generic, i.e. applicable to other sites
than xml.apache.org

About the how:

  - do we need a project page to attract other developers

    - should be pretty easy to set-up using Centipede

  - we should decide on packaging:

    - a full set-up of Tomcat/Cocoon/Forrest, ready to deploy on the server,
    or
    - just the Cocoon webapp + Forrest, or
    - Forrest 'core' itself: C2 sub-sitemap + related materials (stylesheets
    et al.)

  - what the different project teams need to do to get their project listed

    - they should all be placing xml documents on a central location, or have a
    directory in their cvs module that we can retrieve where project-related
    site docs are stored
    - everybody needs access to forrest cvs to update his project webpages
    (not really what we want, I guess)

Once we know the basics of what & how, we can decide upon a CVS directory
structure (other than Centipede's if necessary).

I have some thoughts on the graphs, too, but I'm out to lunch first ;-)

</Steven>