forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "Steven Noels" <stev...@outerthought.org>
Subject RE: [Proposal] initial build system for Forrest (Was: Simple example to start from)
Date Mon, 18 Feb 2002 10:12:13 GMT
David Crossley wrote:

> of your kit, to gain a kick-start. However, if the development (of
Centipede)
> moves to Forrest then i am concerned that the scope of
> Forrest will be far broader than that of Centipede. If so,
> then the world would lose the excellent starter kit that
> you provide.
>
> So i wonder if it is better that the two projects be kept as
> separate. Forrest can benefit from and acknowledge the
> kick-start. Lessons that are learned from the implementation
> can then be fed back into Centipede.

+1

Consider it as establishing the same infectuous relationship as
Avalon/Cocoon.

Besides that (while lacking some bandwidth today to do it myself), how
about putting up a requirements/use cases document for Forrest itself,
as an intro for new people on the project (since Stefano is putting up a
big marketing/teaser campaign inviting people to join in on several
other Apache mailing lists). Would be a good test for our DTD's, too,
and a starter for a Forrest project website.

I'll be happy to do the XML encoding somewhere during this week, just
reply with your bullet points ;-)

As a starter:

Forrest outline:

* What is Forrest
  - Scope & features
  - Who we are
  - How can you help
* Forrest overview
  - Project site publication
    - Document types
    - Views / site sections
  - ... ?

etc etc...

I'm quite curious about the 'meta-reqs' as Stefano posted them on the
Xindice list:

<stefano-quote>
This dynamicity will allow us to write stuff like:

 1) graphs of logs (downloads, cvs commits, mail list messages, mail
list subscribers)
 2) weblogs
 3) project-related calendars
 4) user-extensible in-place documents (as php.net does)
</stefano-quote>

</Steven>