forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: analysis paralysis :-)
Date Tue, 26 Feb 2002 16:25:21 GMT
Steven Noels wrote:

> where do we go from here?
>
> 1) 'force' the entire apache community into maintaining xml docs for
> their project website: should be no problem

There is no alternative: separation of concerns is king if we want to
keep the docs scalable... otherwise this project will become the
bottleneck and I don't want this.

> 2) force root@xml.apache.org to run tomcat/cocoon: seems to be a
> problem, in terms of:
>    - need: for static content, this is overkill
>    - platform: not sure whether machines are up to spec for this
>    - people: are we ready (teamwise) to support a high-visibility
> website

These are all good points.

My original idea was to run Forrest and Gump from 'gump.covalent.net'
(and have it renamed 'forrest.covalent.net'), this will not be a
high-visibility web site, but a medium visibility testbed to show the
potentials of the platform... in order to show root@apache.org what
functionality we could have if we allowed dynamic technology on Apache
(finally!)

BTW, PHP is a official ASF project but runs entirely on their own
resources.

moreover, all jakarta mail lists run on nagoya, which is a Sun-owned
machine (a big E4500, some 200K$ worth of hardware, sitting there
running Bugzilla, doing gump builds and sending jakarta email, with load
that never gets higher than 0.01, at least this is what Pier told me
since I don't have an account on that machine... but I know Sam does)

Sam, what's your view on this.

> 3) incremental development:
>
> are we absolutely positively in need of a dynamic website with browser
> negotiation from the beginning? in need of user comments/write-ins and
> other dynamic features?
>
> or should we start incrementally and start out with the visible part,
> i.e. 'portal look & feel' and aggregation from different information
> sources - staying static for as long as possible?
>
> given the state of the current xml.apache.org wildlife park, I tend to
> say we should start slowly and try to gather people around the same
> website structure and look&feel, and withhold all dynamic features until
> we have a new xml.apache.org based on forrest cocoon generation
>
> and we should decide so upfront because it is difficult to start working
> otherwise

Ok, I change my -1 on staticity to a -0, but I *want* a clean URI
space... this will require Forrest to produce .htaccess files with
mod_rewrite rules, but I think this isn't that hard to do. We could also
perform browser negotiation using those rewrite rules.

What do you think?

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.