forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: on second thought: forrest must start dynamic?
Date Sun, 24 Feb 2002 20:28:23 GMT
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> From: "Stefano Mazzocchi" <stefano@apache.org>
>
> > So, either we forget about clean URIs or we come up with some
> > mod_rewrite hacks while performing the static snapshots.
>
> Sorry Stefano, but I think I don't understand this point...
> Do you mean that with CLI Cocoon all linkes must be hard-wired or else the
> link view cannot navigate the URI space?
> If it is so, a possible solution is to make an ant task get a list of all
> current projects, generate an initial page with all the references, and have
> the CLI version starting to crawl from that.
> Probably I'm missing something but can't figure out what.
>
> > The same thing can be said for the user-agent reaction, which is a must
> > unless we want to waste several years of our life to fix
> > incompatibilities between browser versions.
>
> How about some initial javascript and then /browser/mozilla/ URI hack?

No way, do you think that is a clean URI space that will last for the
next decades?

> As
> the previous possible solution the Ant task needs also to make CLI start
> with n-browser links for every project.
> In this way, all is statically generated, and the routing to the appropriate
> "mirror" is done by javascript, client side, on entering the site, or maybe,
> with a check in every page.
> I'm -1 for starting dynamic, I even doubt we Forrest will ever get there
> soon.

Please, explain why.

> > Anyway, having static snapshots for mirroring purposes is a must or
> > Apache will never adopt forrest globally.
>
> +1

I've asked Brian and he's -1 on running Cocoon on xml.apache.org since
the machines are already overloaded (or close to be), but I was
expecting that.

His point is that we are serving static resources anyway.... what many
of you miss to see is the fact that this *static serving* operation is
*very* limiting.

And we should come out of this black hole.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.