forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [phases] Forrest
Date Sun, 24 Feb 2002 20:24:48 GMT
Ross Gardler wrote:

> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>
> > For the first phase we need:
> >
> > for docs:
> >  1) collect all the various documentation from CVS
>
> >  2) adapt them to our DTD
>
> >  3) generate the docs
>
> Well I'm new to Cocoon and to Forrest (any one not new here?) so this could
> be an opportunity to get up to speed. If someone can point me at the
> documentation you want collecting together I will gladly do (some?) of the
> leg work here.

Great.

1) A good thing to start would be to collect the info about 'where' all
the projects store their docs on CVS (I mean what directory) and what
DTD/doc-build system they use.

2) Then, with this knowledge, we should write a script (ant based?) that
downloads all the appropriate docs from CVS and *adapts* them to the
Document_v1.1 DTD that we'll try to enforce.

3) In order to do this, we have to provide 'adaptation' stylesheets, but
this should not be too complex since the DTDs are semantically
equivalent, most of the times.

Later, we might decide to transform the docs and donate them back to the
various projects. Note: *we* must do the dirty job to get them up to
speed with Forrest, or no project will follow us.

But we have a great political tool: if they don't want to conform to our
DTD, we won't include their docs in our automatic builds, so they will
have a different look and will have to do all that by hand. ;-) I guess
that's a good argument to convince them, but we must be ready to help
them make the transition the easiest possible.

Ross, if you go ahead with step #1, I think this will be a great start.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.