forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Proposal] initial build system for Forrest (Was: Simple example to start from)
Date Tue, 19 Feb 2002 19:03:11 GMT
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> From: "Steven Noels" <stevenn@outerthought.org>
>
> > David Crossley wrote:
> >
> > > of your kit, to gain a kick-start. However, if the development (of
> > Centipede)
> > > moves to Forrest then i am concerned that the scope of
> > > Forrest will be far broader than that of Centipede. If so,
> > > then the world would lose the excellent starter kit that
> > > you provide.
> > >
> > > So i wonder if it is better that the two projects be kept as
> > > separate. Forrest can benefit from and acknowledge the
> > > kick-start. Lessons that are learned from the implementation
> > > can then be fed back into Centipede.
> >
> > +1
> >
> > Consider it as establishing the same infectuous relationship as
> > Avalon/Cocoon.
>
> :-)
>
> I tend to agree. I read the README in xml-forrest:
> <README>
>    - a publishing system for documentation
>    - a build system for code
>    - analysis of logs and publishing of results
> </README>
>
> I thought that "build system" meant something like Centipede, but now it
> seems to be more like Gump2. Is this correct?
>
> > Besides that (while lacking some bandwidth today to do it myself), how
> > about putting up a requirements/use cases document for Forrest itself,
> > as an intro for new people on the project (since Stefano is putting up a
> > big marketing/teaser campaign inviting people to join in on several
> > other Apache mailing lists). Would be a good test for our DTD's, too,
> > and a starter for a Forrest project website.
> >
> > I'll be happy to do the XML encoding somewhere during this week, just
> > reply with your bullet points ;-)
> >
> > As a starter:
> >
> > Forrest outline:
> >
> > * What is Forrest
> >   - Scope & features
> >   - Who we are
> >   - How can you help
> > * Forrest overview
> >   - Project site publication
> >     - Document types
> >     - Views / site sections
> >   - ... ?
>
> Some info is in README, and the basic community info is in Centipede, copied
> courtesy of Cocoon ;-)
>
> BTW, why not use frames? It reduces bandwidth usage, and keeps important
> info on top.

No, no frames. they mess up with the structure of the user flow (the
"back" button is detached from the cognitive context)

> Would it be ok for you guys if I make the stylesheet for Centipede like the
> mockup Stefano put in Forrest, and have the basic site build by the weekend?
> IMHO it's better than nothing.

Hmmm, yeah, but I wanted forrest to be a *live* site, not a static one.

Anyway, the stylesheets between document and my HTML mock ups are a good
thing to work on.

> I remember a talk with a bunch of engineers.
> I ask:"So, how do we do this?".
> Silence.
> Then I draw some lines on the drawing board, and everyone has something to
> say about it.
> All know how it should be done. Except me ;-)
> Ok, I confess, I didn't have a clue myself ;-P

Ok, people, I know: enough marketing, let's get the wishlist going
(believe me, is saved on the draft folder right now)

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.