forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] On xml infrastructure work
Date Fri, 15 Feb 2002 18:05:10 GMT
David Crossley wrote:

> > Besides all these vague arguments, I just wanted to say that I plan to
> > do some work on Forrest since the idea behind it is quite appealing for
> > a dochead like me :-)
>
> I suspected that we have a lot in common, and now i see
> that we are both docheads :-)

Cool, the more picky docheads we wrap around this (count me in), the
better.

Now my comments:

I see two different conceners here about schemas:

1) authoring (here DTDs still are the way to go)

2) validation (here DTDs are showing their age, mostly due to lack of
namespace support and RelaxNG is shining here, mostly due to its
infoset-neutral and namespace-aware behavior)

My idea is to use DTDs to instruct authoring tools and to use RelaxNG to
test that they did the right job.

So you can thin of DTDs as schemas for the client side and RelaxNG as
schemas for the server side.

Does it make sense?

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.