forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@indexgeo.com.au>
Subject [Proposal] initial build system for Forrest (Was: Simple example to start from)
Date Mon, 18 Feb 2002 09:18:41 GMT
I was in the middle of preparing this email when
Ken's frustrated posting came though today ...

----
A while ago Ken Barozzi proposed a kick-start for the
Forrest build system. However, i think that discussion
may have been missed. Perhaps this was due to a
poor initial email subject line.

In the email below, i gather that Ken would like to move
the development of the Krysalis Centipede project starter
kit, from Sourceforge to Forrest.

However, i wonder if that is appropriate. You have an
excellent resource there. Many other projects could
benefit from Krysalis Centipede. Forrest could be a user
of your kit, to gain a kick-start. However, if the development
moves to Forrest then i am concerned that the scope of
Forrest will be far broader than that of Centipede. If so,
then the world would lose the excellent starter kit that
you provide.

So i wonder if it is better that the two projects be kept as
separate. Forrest can benefit from and acknowledge the
kick-start. Lessons that are learned from the implementation
can then be fed back into Centipede.

Anyway, i have krysalis-centipede-0.1 on my system
and it looks to me to be just what Forrest needs. We may
need to leave out some of the extra tools/lib/* until we
actually require them.

Let us discuss this broader issue first. I think that some
others will need to look into Centipede. I am not expert
in starting a project, other Forrest dwellers would know
better.

--David