forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@indexgeo.com.au>
Subject Re: [Patch] tweaks to DTDs and XML
Date Sun, 10 Feb 2002 04:56:46 GMT
John Morrison wrote:
> > David Crossley wrote:

<snip/>

> > Perhaps that is my role in life. It seems that everywhere i go
> > in XML-land, people are over-looking fundamental infrastructure
> > issues, which leads to serious problems down the track. I see
> > people publishing DTDs that they have not actually used, and
> > i get horrified.
>
> There's a lack of knowledge as to _how_ to do this.

You are right. SGML provided a very solid foundation for this,
but it seems to be missed by XML newbies.

<snip/>

> David - would it be worth putting some documentation together
> for the forrest project on how to use these tools?  Possibly
> using the forrest dtds' and layout as examples...?

I had already wondered about that. Perhaps there could be
an optional build target to validate the input XML instances
prior to, or as part of, build docs. Then people who care
about reliable systems could ensure that they are so.

It seems that this might be a useful way for me to contribute
to Forrest.