forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "Nicola Ken Barozzi" <baro...@nicolaken.com>
Subject Simple example to start from
Date Fri, 08 Feb 2002 20:23:51 GMT
Hi to everyone.  :-)  I'm very happy to see this project start, I can't
wait to use it!
Anyway, here are my 2 cents.

Since I use Ant build files in my project and need to create
documentation, I generally rip the project structure from previous
projects. This creates old useless builds and unused targets.

Not knowing that Forrest had the making of a standard build as one of
its goals, I added a sub-project on sourceforge, called centipede
(http://www.krysalis.org/). An example of the build being used is in the
jakarta-poi module on Sourceforge (POI Project). They are using it
without the split build in jakarta-poi on Jakarta also. They helped me a
lot in understanding the requirements.

It's just a cleanup with minor modifications of the structure used by
Cocoon and the stylesheets from Avalon (thanks guys!). I cleaned the
build of cocoon-only targets, added a contrib section, a cleandocs
target, added interactive functionality and notifications of pending
patches in bugzilla to the list, and split the target in many files
referenced as XML entities. Some of these have been included in Cocoon
as a test, but I shifted the discussion on how to continue here, since
on the Cocoon list IMHO it's slightly OT. I've also been working to
reduce the time it takes for Cocoon to generate the docs, and it seems
that it's the crawling that slows it down.

Now that I've read the Forrest goals, I'm excited of the possible
outcomes of this new Apache project, and would like to continue
development here, closing centipede.
I would like to integrate also automatic jar downloading and simple
build system upgrades, along with a single file to describe the whole
project (a modern STATUS file) and chart-report making.

Ken

--
Nicola Ken Barozzi                 krysalis.org@nicolaken.com
            - verba volant, scripta manent -