forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "Nicola Ken Barozzi" <baro...@nicolaken.com>
Subject Re: on second thought: forrest must start dynamic?
Date Sun, 24 Feb 2002 10:37:43 GMT
From: "Stefano Mazzocchi" <stefano@apache.org>

> So, either we forget about clean URIs or we come up with some
> mod_rewrite hacks while performing the static snapshots.

Sorry Stefano, but I think I don't understand this point...
Do you mean that with CLI Cocoon all linkes must be hard-wired or else the
link view cannot navigate the URI space?
If it is so, a possible solution is to make an ant task get a list of all
current projects, generate an initial page with all the references, and have
the CLI version starting to crawl from that.
Probably I'm missing something but can't figure out what.

> The same thing can be said for the user-agent reaction, which is a must
> unless we want to waste several years of our life to fix
> incompatibilities between browser versions.

How about some initial javascript and then /browser/mozilla/ URI hack? As
the previous possible solution the Ant task needs also to make CLI start
with n-browser links for every project.
In this way, all is statically generated, and the routing to the appropriate
"mirror" is done by javascript, client side, on entering the site, or maybe,
with a check in every page.
I'm -1 for starting dynamic, I even doubt we Forrest will ever get there
soon.

> Anyway, having static snapshots for mirroring purposes is a must or
> Apache will never adopt forrest globally.

+1

--
Nicola Ken Barozzi                 krysalis.org@nicolaken.com
            - verba volant, scripta manent -