forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "Nicola Ken Barozzi" <baro...@nicolaken.com>
Subject Re: [HEADS UP] adding centipede to forrest - part 2
Date Tue, 26 Feb 2002 17:08:53 GMT
From: "Nicola Ken Barozzi" <barozzi@nicolaken.com>
> From: "Steven Noels" <stevenn@outerthought.org>
> >From: "Nicola Ken Barozzi" <barozzi@nicolaken.com>
> > > From: "Steven Noels" <stevenn@outerthought.org>

> > > what we are going to build ;-)
> > >
> > > IMHO not yet needed; we could work in the documentation directly...
> >
> > if we aim only for the project website for the time being, ok

Since AFAIK all other websites made with Forrest will be like the Forrest
site itself, IMHO this is the first step.
After that, we can add forrest specific tasks to
./src/targets/project.xtarget:

- get list of projects + statistics from GUMP
- get info of projects from projectinfo descriptor in CVS of each project
- collect project statistics from site usage, CVS usage+contents (metrics),
etc
- get xdocs of projects (with location defined in each projectinfo
descriptor)
- single-site generation
- all sites generation
- all generated sites upload to server
- notification-nag of all devs or users mailing lists of metrics to remain
push-informed of the project (patches, bugs, code metrics, etc)

Since my current step with Centipede is to make the tool in ./tools
pluggable, the forrest targets can become a tool, and used this way in other
projects.

After all these targets work, hence Forrest can be used statically, with
only one style and least possible browser dependencies, the dynamic part can
begin.

For the cocoon upgrade, I propose that it follows Centipede releases.
This way I don't get mixed up by all these projects 8-)

--
Nicola Ken Barozzi                 barozzi@nicolaken.com
            - verba volant, scripta manent -