forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "Nicola Ken Barozzi" <baro...@nicolaken.com>
Subject Re: [Proposal] initial build system for Forrest (Was: Simple example to start from)
Date Mon, 18 Feb 2002 17:06:54 GMT
From: "Steven Noels" <stevenn@outerthought.org>

> David Crossley wrote:
>
> > of your kit, to gain a kick-start. However, if the development (of
> Centipede)
> > moves to Forrest then i am concerned that the scope of
> > Forrest will be far broader than that of Centipede. If so,
> > then the world would lose the excellent starter kit that
> > you provide.
> >
> > So i wonder if it is better that the two projects be kept as
> > separate. Forrest can benefit from and acknowledge the
> > kick-start. Lessons that are learned from the implementation
> > can then be fed back into Centipede.
>
> +1
>
> Consider it as establishing the same infectuous relationship as
> Avalon/Cocoon.

:-)

I tend to agree. I read the README in xml-forrest:
<README>
   - a publishing system for documentation
   - a build system for code
   - analysis of logs and publishing of results
</README>

I thought that "build system" meant something like Centipede, but now it
seems to be more like Gump2. Is this correct?

> Besides that (while lacking some bandwidth today to do it myself), how
> about putting up a requirements/use cases document for Forrest itself,
> as an intro for new people on the project (since Stefano is putting up a
> big marketing/teaser campaign inviting people to join in on several
> other Apache mailing lists). Would be a good test for our DTD's, too,
> and a starter for a Forrest project website.
>
> I'll be happy to do the XML encoding somewhere during this week, just
> reply with your bullet points ;-)
>
> As a starter:
>
> Forrest outline:
>
> * What is Forrest
>   - Scope & features
>   - Who we are
>   - How can you help
> * Forrest overview
>   - Project site publication
>     - Document types
>     - Views / site sections
>   - ... ?

Some info is in README, and the basic community info is in Centipede, copied
courtesy of Cocoon ;-)

BTW, why not use frames? It reduces bandwidth usage, and keeps important
info on top.

Would it be ok for you guys if I make the stylesheet for Centipede like the
mockup Stefano put in Forrest, and have the basic site build by the weekend?
IMHO it's better than nothing.
I remember a talk with a bunch of engineers.
I ask:"So, how do we do this?".
Silence.
Then I draw some lines on the drawing board, and everyone has something to
say about it.
All know how it should be done. Except me ;-)
Ok, I confess, I didn't have a clue myself ;-P

--
Nicola Ken Barozzi                 krysalis.org@nicolaken.com
            - verba volant, scripta manent -