fluo-dev mailing list archives

From Christopher <ctubb...@apache.org>
Subject About fluo-bytes
Date Fri, 04 Aug 2017 20:42:08 GMT
Fluoers,

I created a fluo-bytes repository in GitBox[1], so we can try to create a
dependency-free, standalone implementation of the basic Bytes features we
need, based on Keith's observations in his blog post[2].

Over the next few weeks, I'd like to try to start using it to create a
small library of the following:

* A ByteSequence interface (analogous to CharSequence)
* BytesBuilder (analogous to StringBuilder)
* an immutable Bytes implementation of ByteSequence (analogous to String)

Maybe later, we can add useful InputStream and OutputStream implementations
and other useful tools, but it should always be a small library with a
narrow focus on manipulating byte sequences.

The idea is that this will be semver, but will very strong prefer to avoid
ever going to a breaking 2.0 change, instead insuring it will be backwards
compatible for a *LONG* time, making it safe for use in other projects'
APIs.

I think this library would be useful not only for Fluo's API, but as a
separate dependency-free library, it could be easily reused by many other
projects, such as Accumulo (and anybody else).

[1]: https://github.com/apache/fluo-bytes
[2]: https://fluo.apache.org/blog/2016/11/10/immutable-bytes/