fluo-dev mailing list archives

From Christopher <ctubb...@apache.org>
Subject Re: third party service to poll Fluo for absence of event
Date Thu, 02 Feb 2017 02:54:06 GMT
On Wed, Feb 1, 2017 at 10:04 AM Meier, Caleb <Caleb.Meier@parsons.com>
wrote:

> Yeah, this seems pretty reasonable to me.  I guess it then boils down to
> the nitty gritty of do I store results in Fluo and have my service query
> Fluo (I think you guys actually advise against that in your documentation),
> or export results and then have the service query some external index that
> I am exporting to.

I'm not sure we advise against it, so much as recognize that it may not be
suitable for certain use cases and may not meet query performance
expectations (
http://fluo.apache.org/docs/fluo-recipes/1.0.0-incubating/export-queue/).

In any case, your observer need not write the final "last occurrence"
entries into a Fluo table. It could write them anywhere.

> Regarding timestamps, does the oracle server provide actual timestamps or
> just logical timestamps?  That is, could I use the timestamps that the
> server provides to define some sort of now() function to obtain the current
> time to compare with the times of incoming events?

Just logical time, and it delivers batches to limit locking, so it can
appear to jump ahead spontaneously. I'm not sure the OracleServer is
suitable for this purpose. What level of precision are you going for? It
might be enough to just run NTP, if you don't need more precision than
"within seconds".

--
Christopher