fluo-dev mailing list archives

From "Meier, Caleb" <Caleb.Me...@parsons.com>
Subject RE: third party service to poll Fluo for absence of event
Date Thu, 16 Feb 2017 17:08:29 GMT
Quick question.  How timely is Fluo when it comes to processing notifications?  If there are
enough workers, will a notification be processed in a timely manner after writing to the observed
column?  Earlier we had a discussion about a periodic query service.
If I write a notification to issue a periodic query to Fluo, can I expect that my Observer
will process that query fairly quickly (provided there are enough workers)?

Caleb A. Meier, Ph.D.
Software Engineer II ♦ Analyst
Parsons Corporation
1911 N. Fort Myer Drive, Suite 800 ♦ Arlington, VA 22209
Office:  (703)797-3066
Caleb.Meier@Parsons.com ♦ www.parsons.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Keith Turner [mailto:keith@deenlo.com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 01, 2017 11:03 PM
To: dev@fluo.incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: third party service to poll Fluo for absence of event

On Wed, Feb 1, 2017 at 9:54 PM, Christopher <ctubbsii@apache.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 1, 2017 at 10:04 AM Meier, Caleb <Caleb.Meier@parsons.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Yeah, this seems pretty reasonable to me.  I guess it then boils down
>> to the nitty gritty of do I store results in Fluo and have my service
>> query Fluo (I think you guys actually advise against that in your
>> documentation), or export results and then have the service query
>> some external index that I am exporting to.
>>

> I'm not sure we advise against it, so much as recognize that it may
> not be suitable for certain use cases and may not meet query
> performance expectations (
> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__fluo.apache.org_docs_fluo-2Drecipes_1.0.0-2Dincubating_export-2Dqueue_&d=CwIFaQ&c=Nwf-pp4xtYRe0sCRVM8_LWH54joYF7EKmrYIdfxIq10&r=vuVdzYC2kksVZR5STiFwDpzJ7CrMHCgeo_4WXTD0qo8&m=zqJSJTFo90FyUVCiF79uq3P0FHnxr0MLFKbsPsHGgyk&s=spmwJN_FBTO6TBBT2dne8sbE7MRMrlhz8lLPpfPZBbs&e=
).

I would advise against querying Fluo for low latency queries.
However, this external service thats checking a few stats within Fluo and injecting new notifications
probably does not care about latency.

The reason Fluo is not geared towards low latency is that it does lazy
recovery of failed transactions.   Failed transactions are not cleaned
up until something tries to read the data, which could significantly delay reads.