fluo-dev mailing list archives

From Christopher <ctubb...@apache.org>
Subject Re: third party service to poll Fluo for absence of event
Date Tue, 31 Jan 2017 23:08:30 GMT
You could write an observer which rolls up timestamps from all the events
you are concerned about, and puts the most recent event timestamp into a
centralized place, which you could poll. If there is no ingest of these
events, then the last timestamp in this central place will exceed some
threshold and the poller could detect that and trigger additional actions.

On Tue, Jan 31, 2017 at 3:51 PM Meier, Caleb <Caleb.Meier@parsons.com>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I’m looking into using Fluo to develop an event based notification system
> that incrementally generates events of increasing complexity.  The one
> issue that I’m running into is how to handle the non-event event.  That is,
> Fluo (as I understand it) is not well-suited to handle the following
> request: “generate a notification if no events of a given type have
> occurred within the last 24 hours”.  This is because it is a push based
> notification framework that only generates notifications when things
> actually happen.  So the question is, has anyone looked into developing a
> service for generating notifications at regular intervals (even if
> something doesn’t happen) that works with Fluo?  I’m toying with the idea
> of creating some sort of Twill application that tells Fluo to wake up at
> regular intervals to generate a notification about the set of events
> falling within the given time window. Before doing this I just wanted to
> make sure that something like this does not already exist, and I also want
> to get a sense of how bad an idea it is to delegate some of the logic of
> this periodic notification service to Fluo.   Would it be better to
> separate out the temporal portion of my notification request to be
> processed entirely outside of Fluo to avoid transactional overhead?
>
> Caleb A. Meier, Ph.D.
> Software Engineer II ♦ Analyst
> Parsons Corporation
> 1911 N. Fort Myer Drive, Suite 800 ♦ Arlington, VA 22209
> Office:  (703)797-3066 <(703)%20797-3066>
> Caleb.Meier@Parsons.com<mailto:Caleb.Meier@Parsons.com> ♦ www.parsons.com<
> https://webportal.parsons.com/,DanaInfo=www.parsons.com+>
>
> --
Christopher