fluo-dev mailing list archives

From "Meier, Caleb" <Caleb.Me...@parsons.com>
Subject third party service to poll Fluo for absence of event
Date Tue, 31 Jan 2017 20:50:42 GMT
Hello,

I’m looking into using Fluo to develop an event based notification system that incrementally
generates events of increasing complexity.  The one issue that I’m running into is how to
handle the non-event event.  That is, Fluo (as I understand it) is not well-suited to handle
the following request: “generate a notification if no events of a given type have occurred
within the last 24 hours”.  This is because it is a push based notification framework that
only generates notifications when things actually happen.  So the question is, has anyone
looked into developing a service for generating notifications at regular intervals (even if
something doesn’t happen) that works with Fluo?  I’m toying with the idea of creating
some sort of Twill application that tells Fluo to wake up at regular intervals to generate
a notification about the set of events falling within the given time window. Before doing
this I just wanted to make sure that something like this does not already exist, and I also
want to get a sense of how bad an idea it is to delegate some of the logic of this periodic
notification service to Fluo.   Would it be better to separate out the temporal portion of
my notification request to be processed entirely outside of Fluo to avoid transactional overhead?

Caleb A. Meier, Ph.D.
Software Engineer II ♦ Analyst
Parsons Corporation
1911 N. Fort Myer Drive, Suite 800 ♦ Arlington, VA 22209
Office:  (703)797-3066
Caleb.Meier@Parsons.com<mailto:Caleb.Meier@Parsons.com> ♦ www.parsons.com<https://webportal.parsons.com/,DanaInfo=www.parsons.com+>