fluo-dev mailing list archives

From Keith Turner <ke...@deenlo.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] "Related projects"
Date Tue, 02 Aug 2016 20:17:29 GMT
On Tue, Aug 2, 2016 at 4:05 PM, Josh Elser <josh.elser@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I figured it would be prudent to start a thread on this.
>
> The more I re-read http://fluo.incubator.apache.org/related-projects/, the
> more confused I am on the state of things.
>
> While I do know that the original Incubation proposal only included the
> "core" and "recipes" pieces, I don't think I realized that scope of how many
> parallel projects existed in the github.com/fluo-io umbrella. Why have so
> many of these been left in the github org instead of following into the ASF?
>
> To paraphrase from the general@incubator VOTE's, separate communities are
> indeed allowed and fine for Fluo. The most clear point I can probably bring
> is that the community members are likely 1:1 across the PPMC and the fluo-io
> on Github (please tell me if I'm wrong). If I had to guess, this is what
> sent up red flags to the other IPMC members.
>
> Why would you want to keep something like fluo-quickstart completely
> separated from the Apache Fluo community? I would think a project like that
> would be *extremely* useful in helping to attract new users and developers
> to Fluo.

For me, part of it is that things can be much more fluid outside of
Apache.   For example I Am working on  Fluo Tour for the website that
walks a user step by step through all of Fluo's features.   I am
thinking of renaming fluo-quickstart to fluo-tour for this and having
the website point to it.  Based on past experience these simple things
are not easy in Apache.   However may be we can plan for the lack of
fluidity and create one github repo for example code called
fluo-examples in Apache land.  Then place all example code the website
links to there under separate directories.