fluo-dev mailing list archives

From Josh Elser <josh.el...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Trademark discussions and plan
Date Tue, 02 Aug 2016 19:37:30 GMT

Christopher wrote:
> Okay, so we've been having a long discussion regarding trademarks as the
> project transitions from fluo.io to fluo.apache.org on the incubator list (
> https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/69a0c4befd56240ac642c4912e7497ea53720920a459e923f5cf7e91@%3Cgeneral.incubator.apache.org%3E).
> Several issues arose, and Keith, Mike and I have been discussing what we
> think is the best plan forward.
>
> What we think is best:
>
> 1. Create a branch in the incubator-fluo repo for the resources, and do an
> Apache release of the checkstyle/formatter rules in that resources jar.

+1

> 2. Update the parent POM to use that resources jar instead of the
> previously released io.fluo one.

Is there are reason these resource jars were not included with the
parent pom release?

> 3. Donate fluo.io to the ASF to do what they wish with it.

I'm still catching up on things, but this seems *highly* unnecessary to
me. See http://getkudu.io/. The ASF cannot *possibly* be in the business
of controlling anyone who wants to register a domain name and point it
at some *.apache.org. Given what I've read, the fluo.io redirect present
is fine. and does not need to be addressed further.

> 4. Replace/Remove any links to fluo.io on the fluo.apache.org website.

Again, IMO, this is not necessary, but it should be clear the
distinction between "Apache Fluo (incubating) Components" and "Related
Projects". I feel like that was at the core of John's arguments on
general@incubator.

> 5. Open a discussion on trademarks@apache.org to determine whether the
> GitHub organization "fluo-io" should be renamed, and what would be an
> acceptable name for a GitHub organization containing fluo-related 3rd party
> projects. Also determine whether it is acceptable to use the trademark for
> fluo-related extensions repository names (eg. "fluo-stress" and
> "fluo-quickstart").

My feeling is that with proper distinction that "fluo-io" is not
affiliated with "Apache Fluo (incubating)" and the ASF but are related
software projects would be fine. Admittedly, I'm not sure the reasoning
behind wanting to keep them separate (was there a reason these were not
included in the original donation?) and bringing them under the ASF
umbrella would make sense to me.

Regardless, VP of trademarks has a much heavier weight of opinion than I
do. A healthy discussion sounds great.

> 6. Complete the PODLINGNAMESEARCH, so all this effort to protect the "Fluo"
> trademark isn't done in vain.

+1 this isn't that hard to do either. Feel free to ask for help/guidance.