fluo-dev mailing list archives

From Christopher <ctubb...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Require Java 8
Date Thu, 07 Jul 2016 15:10:01 GMT
On Thu, Jul 7, 2016 at 9:21 AM Keith Turner <keith@deenlo.com> wrote:

> +0
>
> I am not strongly in favor, but I am not opposed.  My thoughts are :
>
>  * Nothing in 1.0.0 implementation or API will actually require Java 8.
> Ideally the switch would have been made earlier.  Switching at the
> beginning of the 1.1.0 dev cycle makes more sense to me.

I just don't think we should be encouraging new users of a new application
to use EOL software. Also, if there is a problem with compatibility, I'd
prefer the problem occur while trying to backport Fluo to Java 7, if
somebody were to require that, than the problem occur while trying to use a
current non-EOL version.

>  * Users on Java 7 will not be able to use Fluo

I'm okay with that. They should upgrade if they want Fluo.

>  * Fluo Recipes is already at Java 8 and its implementation heavily uses
> it.
>
> How will it simplify pom?

Specifically, it will eliminate the need to have a separate JDK8 profile
for Java 8 javadoc behaviors. It would also allow us to set the compiler
plugin properties at the parent POM level, instead of in each POM.

These are only slight improvements.