fluo-dev mailing list archives

From Keith Turner <ke...@deenlo.com>
Subject Re: JIRA vs Github Issues
Date Thu, 09 Jun 2016 16:18:01 GMT
On Thu, Jun 9, 2016 at 11:13 AM, Keith Turner <keith@deenlo.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 8, 2016 at 8:21 PM, Christopher <ctubbsii@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> Personally, I'd rather use GitHub issues anyway. The minor inconvenience
>> in
>> the case of occasional unresponsive reporters I think would be minimal and
>> acceptable (there is the additional annoyance of not being able to manage
>> labels on issues, but I think even that is minor).
>>
>> Using GitHub issues could even help advance the state of development on
>> ASF
>> projects, by offering an additional use case to motivate further
>> convenience integration. We could even help create or test a service which
>> authenticates using ASF project credentials and integrates with GitHub's
>> API to manage issues. I've recently been looking at GitHub OAuth
>> integrated
>> applications, and it doesn't seem like a difficult service to create. Or,
>> perhaps the M.A.T.T. stuff will be online and available to us soon enough
>> and it won't matter.
>>
>> But, if the majority feel JIRA would be better in the meantime, then we
>> can
>> convert the existing issues to JIRA, transfer the repo, and have issues
>> disabled. I strongly prefer GH issues over JIRA, but defer to the
>> majority.
>>

> I don't have a strong preference.  I slightly prefer GH issues.  At this
> point, my main motivation is moving forward.  Don't want to be stuck in
> limbo forever.  I'll pop into hipchat and find out what the timeliness on
> transferring to GH would be and what level of effort it requires on INFRA's
> part.  I'll report back what I find.

Ok I talked to INFRA and found out two things.  We would be able to close
issues w/ a commit like here[1]  An aside I feel like I have seen apache
top level docs on that, but could not find it..  In hipchat Daniel Gruno
said he has closed issues in this way w/ ponymail.  I suspected we could do
this, because we have closed PRs that way in Accumulo.  It was nice to get
confirmation that it worked with issues.

I also asked if it would be burdensome for infra for any reason to transfer
the existing GH project to Apache.   Daniel Takamori said it would not be
and that they have done it before.

Based on this info I am leaning towards taking the GH issues + transfer
existing GH project route. Does this change anyone elses opinion?

Also I realized this would save us the "transfer to JIRA step". Which I am
not sure how involved that is.

[1]:
https://mahout.apache.org/developers/github.html#closing-a-pr-without-committing-for-committers