flume-user mailing list archives

From Gwen Shapira <gshap...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: Flafka: Kafka channel unable to deliver event
Date Mon, 06 Jul 2015 05:14:36 GMT
See inline :)

On Sun, Jul 5, 2015 at 5:37 PM, Jun MA <mj.saber1990@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Rufus,
>
> Thank you so much for your help, I do bypass the issue.
>
> Another question I have is that can I have two Flafka agents consume from
> one topic (agents run on same machine or different machine)?

Yes.

> Will the two
> agents have exact same two copies or each agent will consume one part of the
> topic?

It depends on how you configure them.
If you configure two different consumer group IDs, they will each get a copy.
If they use the same consumer group ID, each agent will consume from
different subset of partitions. They will automatically load balance
partitions in case more agents join or if agents are stopped.

> The purpose I want to run two agents on same topic is that I want to
> have a high availability. What I want is that two agents will consume
> different portion of the topic but if one agent down, the other one will
> consume everything from the topic.
> From what I tested, I bring up two agents on same machine with different
> agent name (everything else are the same), and only the first one can
> consume messages from topic. I’m wondering if it is the right behavior. If
> so, is there anyway I can solve this single point of failure?

If you configure both Flafkas with same consumer group ID, you should
get the behavior you want.
Just make sure you have at least two partitions - the load balancing
behavior happens at the partition level, so you can only have as many
concurrent agents as you have partitions.

Gwen