flume-user mailing list archives

From Roshan Naik <ros...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: Load Balancer
Date Mon, 23 Mar 2015 22:31:07 GMT
Might be good idea to make a note of this correlation between sink groups and threads in the
user guide.

From: Hari Shreedharan <hshreedharan@cloudera.com<mailto:hshreedharan@cloudera.com>>
Date: Tuesday, March 10, 2015 9:02 AM
To: "user@flume.apache.org<mailto:user@flume.apache.org>" <user@flume.apache.org<mailto:user@flume.apache.org>>
Subject: Re: Load Balancer

Most often, for HDFS, you'd need multiple sinks to drain the same channel than one with a
load balancer. Load balancing is mostly meant to send data from one set of Flume agents to
another set (tier 1 to 2), so that even if one agent goes down, the data still goes to the
others. Adding more sinks or sink groups adds multithreading - so your drain rates improve.
Each sink group gets a thread - the thread chooses one of the sinks to process the data from
the channel. So for multithreading + load balancing, you'd need several (possibly, identically
configured, but with different sinks) sink groups. Think of sinks outside of sink groups as
a sink group with just 1 sink.

j.guilmard@accenture.com<mailto:j.guilmard@accenture.com> wrote:

Hello,

No they are not as far as I know. That makes it very important to know when designing Load
Balanced Flume Architecture: you must count on multiple agents, rather than multiple sinks

Best regards
Jean-Fran├žois Guilmard
Accenture Digital

Email: j.guilmard@accenture.com<mailto:j.guilmard@accenture.com>
Phone: +33 6 32 27 70 22

Accenture Analytics: Connect with us to learn more.