flume-user mailing list archives

From Marina <ppi...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: MalformedInputException processing logs from Varnish server
Date Mon, 09 Mar 2015 20:09:14 GMT
Hi, Jeff,
Thank you for your quick response!I could not easily find the exact log entry that had the
issue - as all I had were 30M input log files :).
After further debugging, I figured out what the issue was . Here is what happened.
For production, we use Exec sink with 'tail -f '. For my local testing I use a spooling dir.
The issue happened when I was using the spooldir sink, when a log file had non-UTF-8 characters.

However, the exception that I've posted came not from processing the log file! The flow was
as following:1. Flume is started with spooldir sink2. a log file with non-utf-8 chars is moved
into the spooldir3. Flume starts processing, encounters a "bad" character and stops (no errors
or anything)4. I kill Flume manually and restart - without cleaning out its .flumespool dir

5. FLume starts up and now chokes up processing its own .flumespool dir and the left-over
file in there! - this is where the MalformedInputException came from
When I processed the same file via Exec sink, and 'tail -n 10000 ..' command - it was processed
successfully - which told me the issue is specific to the spooled sink.
The solution was to add this parameter to the spooldir sink:a1.sources.r1.inputCharset = ISO8859-1
Thanks!Marina

      From: Jeff Lord <jlord@cloudera.com>
 To: "user@flume.apache.org" <user@flume.apache.org>; Marina <ppine7@yahoo.com>

 Sent: Monday, March 9, 2015 11:17 AM
 Subject: Re: MalformedInputException processing logs from Varnish server

Hi Marina,
Do you have a sample of the characters/data which you believe to be causing this?Can you just
confirm you are using apache version of flume or a specific distro?Also in your message you
mention that you are using tail -f which would be the exec source but the stack trace looks
like you are actually using the spooldir source.
Best,
Jeff