flume-user mailing list archives

From Mike Keane <mke...@conversantmedia.com>
Subject RE: Deal with duplicates in Flume with a crash.
Date Wed, 03 Dec 2014 22:35:50 GMT
We effectively mitigated this problem by using the UUID interceptor and customizing the HDFS
Sink to do a check and put of the UUID to HBase.  In the customized sink we check HBase to
see if we have seen the UUID before, if we have it is a duplicate and we log a new duplicate
metric with the existing sink metrics and throw the event away.  If we have not seen the UUID
before we write the Event to HDFS and do a put of the UUID to hbase.

Because of our volume to minimize the number of check/puts to HBase we put multiple logs in
a single FlumeEvent.

-Mike

From: Guillermo Ortiz [konstt2000@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, December 03, 2014 4:15 PM
To: user@flume.apache.org
Subject: Re: Deal with duplicates in Flume with a crash.

I didn't know anything about a Hive Sink, I'll check the JIRA about it, thanks.
The pipeline is Flume-Kafka-SparkStreaming-XXX

So I guess I should deal in SparkStreaming with it, right? I guess
that it would be easy to do it with an UUID interceptor or is there
another way easier?

> Using the UUID interceptor at the source closest to data origination.. it
> will help identify duplicate events after they are delivered.
>
> If it satisfies your use case, the upcoming Hive Sink will mitigate the
> problem a little bit (since it uses transactions to write to destination).
>
> -roshan
>

> On Wed, Dec 3, 2014 at 8:44 AM, Joey Echeverria <joey@cloudera.com> wrote:
>>
>> There's nothing built into Flume to deal with duplicates, it only
>> provides at-least-once delivery semantics.
>>
>> You'll have to handle it in your data processing applications or add
>> an ETL step to deal with duplicates before making data available for
>> other queries.
>>
>> -Joey
>>
>> On Wed, Dec 3, 2014 at 5:46 AM, Guillermo Ortiz <konstt2000@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I would like to know if there's a easy way to deal with data
>> > duplication when an agent crashs and it resends same data again.
>> >
>> > Is there any mechanism to deal with it in Flume,
>>

>> --
>> Joey Echeverria
>

> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
> privileged and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If the reader of
> this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any
> printing, copying, dissemination, distribution, disclosure or forwarding of
> communication in error, please contact the sender immediately and delete it
> from your system. Thank You.

This email and any files included with it may contain privileged,
proprietary and/or confidential information that is for the sole use
of the intended recipient(s).  Any disclosure, copying, distribution,
posting, or use of the information contained in or attached to this
email is prohibited unless permitted by the sender.  If you have
received this email in error, please immediately notify the sender
via return email, telephone, or fax and destroy this original transmission
and its included files without reading or saving it in any manner.
Thank you.